If you’re heavily invested in VMware, you can now more easily move your entire on-premises infrastructure to AWS.
What was once somewhat of a contentious relationship between VMware and AWS has turned a corner. While VMware has specialized in on-premises virtualization for quite some time, the growth in cloud computing, specifically the Amazon Web Services Cloud, made it a no-brainer for the two companies to team up.
Benefits of VMware and AWS
Many organizations have invested significant resources, training, and manpower into VMware. Thus, it’s only natural that they would want to leverage this investment when they decide to move some—or all—of their infrastructure into the cloud.
Now, it’s possible to take advantage of the benefits of the cloud and leverage the availability of data centers in 13 different geographical locations around the world – while still having access to a fully managed VMware environment. This new solution, dubbed VMware Cloud on AWS, allows organizations to utilize the same core VMware technologies, including Virtual SAN, vSphere Hypervisor, and the NSX network virtualization platform, on an AWS cloud-based infrastructure.
Why use VMware on AWS?
There are many reasons to welcome the introduction of the VWware Cloud on AWS:
- Run directly on AWS hardware – Users can run VMware Cloud directly on AWS hardware and still run the VMware virtualization stack without using nested virtualization.
- Utilize existing VMware licenses – Even though users are moving to the AWS cloud, they’ll still be able to utilize their existing VMware licenses, discounts, and agreements.
- Ability to continue to use vCenter – Whether you have infrastructure located on-premises or on AWS, you’ll still be able to run vCenter—Vmware’s management tool for the entire VMware environment.
- Access to AWS services – One of the biggest reasons to move to the VMware Cloud on AWS is the access to the wide array of services available in the AWS ecosystem. These include storage, compute, analytics, IoT, mobile, and much more.
- Pay-as-you-go pricing – AWS’s pay-as-you-go pricing model is highly advantageous for many organizations. It offers virtually limitless scaling opportunities for enterprises of all sizes.
VMware offers a wide array of options for enterprises looking to move their virtualization infrastructure to the cloud
Whether you’re looking to migrate your VMs, workloads, or even entire data centers to the cloud, AWS is more than up to the task. Amazon offers what’s called AWS Direct Connect, which allows you to set up a dedicated network connection from your existing network infrastructure to AWS.
After migrating your virtual servers and data to AWS, you then have all of the unique and powerful services that fall under the AWS umbrella. Go from managing your own outdated data center to a virtualized solution that can quickly grow and contract based on your organization’s needs.
Need help with the transition from on premises to the cloud?
If you need assistance with either VMware or AWS, the experts at CloudHesive have the experience to help you. We’ve assisted organizations of all sizes move from an on premises solution to a cloud-based infrastructure that offers improved security, reliability, and scalability. Give us a call today at 800-860-2040 to learn more.